At the 2012 Fall AGU meeting, CliC and the International Permafrost Association (IPA) renewed their long-standing partnership with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) identifying a joint commitment to excellence in the field of permafrost research and its climate connections, in the pursuit of scientific advances, public awareness, advice to policy makers, stakeholder engagement, and the professional development of young researchers.
Some specific areas where CliC and the IPA agree to work together, but are not limited to, are:
- Foster, promote and organize joint workshops and activities to facilitate and strengthen collaborations between the permafrost and climate research communities.
- Encourage representatives of each Party to participate in the other’s relevant committees, meetings and conferences, including the IPA Council meeting and the CliC Scientific Steering Group meetings.
- Coordinate data management and sharing efforts, where possible.
- Share relevant updates, newsletters, and publications of the other Party with respective communities.
- Work together to encourage the meaningful involvement of young researchers in permafrost and climate activities.
- Foster the development of joint education and outreach activities.
Furthermore, CliC, in its coordinating role, will help to foster collaborations between the IPA and other World Climate Research Programme (WCRP) efforts.
The signed MoU can be found in the CliC media Gallery.