The SOOS/WCRP/ESA workshop on Southern Ocean air-sea fluxes:Strategies and Requirements for Detecting Physical and Biogeochemical Exchanges:Strategies and Requirements for Detecting Physical and Biogeochemical Exchanges will be held in Frascati, Italy, 21-23 September, 2015.
The workshop is motivated by a goal to improve air-sea flux estimates in the Southern Ocean and Antarctic marginal seas, though the issues addressed in the workshop will also have a global reach. A 5-part agenda is anticipated:
1. Science applications for air-sea flux estimates.
2. A brief review of challenges associated with existing flux products
3. New opportunities that will enable forward progress (including in situ observations, remote sensing, assimilation/modeling).
4. Workshop outcome #1: Defining requirements for essential climate variables and essential ocean variables for air-sea exchange.
5. Workshop outcome #2: Planning for a pilot observing system
Details about the workshop, including a registration form, are posted on the SOOS web site.
The deadline for registration is August 15, 2015. There is no registration fee for the workshop, but note that lunches and the conference dinner will be organized on a “no-host” basis. Participants are responsible for their own travel and hotel arrangements; please see the website for more information on accommodation and transportation. A hotel and taxi booking form is available on the website as well.