15:00 – 17:00 Overview (2 hours):
15:00 – 15:05 Julienne Stroeve (UCL) – Introduction to workshop (objectives and agenda)
15:05 – 15:10 Uma Bhatt (Univ. Alaska): Sea Ice Prediction Network (SIPN) and motivation for the workshop
15:10 – 15:45 Insight to Capabilities of Sea-ice Forecasting Products
– Ed Blockley (UK Met Office): Presentation on current capabilities of short-term forecasts
– Rick Allard (Naval Research Laboratory): Short-term and seasonal forecasts
– Wieslaw Maslowski (Naval Postgraduate research lab): Seasonal forecasts
– Ingrid H. Onarheim (U Bergen/Bjerknes Centre): Seasonal to decadal forecasts
15:45 – 16:00 Coffee Break
16:00 – 16:50 User and Stakeholder Needs from an Operations and Management Perspective
16:00 – 16:30 Sea-ice Needs and Practices for the Operational Activities and Industries
– Kelvin Murray (EYOS): User Needs from the Polar Tourism Industry
– Tor-Arne Vaskinn (Fiskbåt): User Needs from the Fishing Industry
– Lasse Rabenstein (Drift & Noise): Research and cruise industry needs
16:30 – 16:50 Sea-ice Needs for Short and Long-term Planning and Business Development
– Kenneth Johannessen Eik (Metocean & Arctic design, Statoil)
– Morten Mejlænder-Larsen (Arctic Operation, DNV GL)
Grab a coffee and find your group!!
17:00 – 17:45 Identify Stakeholder needs Part. I (45 min)
Session 1 – Breakout Group Exercise:
– Divide into predefined breakout groups of “operators” and “managers” moderated by the selected participants from the science community.
1. Round of introduction
2. Use the following questions to provide feedback on your user needs (cards will be provided which can be pinned to a board)
3. Make sure to cluster answers (bring similar needs together)
4. Prioritise needs with feedback from the group (voting with sticky points)
17:45 – 18:00 Coffee break
18:00 – 19:00 Identify Stakeholder needs Part. II (60 min)
Session 2 – Round-up discussions and determine way forward:
– Groups present their results: what are the needs and how can these be addressed?
– Plenary: what is the way forward?
– Develop strategy on continued engagement
– Establish possible cooperation opportunities
19:00 – Social Event
The social event is sponsored by ARCUS. Light snacks will be provided.
Location: Skarven, Strandtorget 1, 9008 Tromsø
4 min. walk from the Radisson Blu