Location: IMAS seminar rooms, Castray Esplanade, Hobart, TAS.
Draft agenda: Saturday 14 March 2014
08:40 Introduction to ASPECT (Marilyn/Steve)
08:50 Introduction to ASIWG (Don)
9:00 – 10:00 Standardized Ice Watch Observations:
Moderator led discussion on observations in need of standardization, such as ice cores, with the aim to identify common talking points for break – out groups. unified approaches for sea-ice observations – focus on in – situ / ship-based work. Motivation: Challenges & path to implementation
09:00 Antarctic (Petra) – Identification of parameters currently not/rarely observed and potential remedies, such as AAD’s need for ice strength data
09:15 Arctic (Jenny Hutchings) Status of IceWatch standardization
09:30 General Discussion (Moderators Hajo Eicken / Don Perovich)
10:00 -10:30 Other Possible Standardized Observations
Discussion (Hajo/Don): Immediate next steps; Identify one or two leads to be pursued to implementation seeking CliC sponsorship. Melding observational data and numerical modelling
10:45 – 11:00 Data Archiving and Cyberinfrastructure
*Hongie – cyberinfrastructure
*Jenny Hutchings – Feed observational data into operational centers – Implementation roadmap
11:15 – 12:00 Integrating models and data
11:15 Sea Ice Prediction Network (Walt)- dataset compilation for modelers/forecasters, targeted observation etc.
11:30 Sea Ice Operational Forecasting needs – Nick Hughes and TBD for the Antarctic?
12:00 Discussion of linkages between Arctic and Antarctic (Steve/Don)
*Nick Hughes – Synchronization with International Ice Charting Group
Group to comment on summary update about the utility and development of IcePlan
Polarview, GlobIce, ASSIST, IceWatch
12:45 Joint Session ends
ASPeCT Afternoon Agenda
13:30 – 14:30 Reports on recent and upcoming field plans
- PIPERS, 2015-2016 Ross Sea Polynyas Experiment- Steve Ackley
- McMurdo Sea Ice work- Pat Langhorne and Jean-Louis Tison
- Australian upcoming Experiment (2016 or 2017)- Klaus Meiners et al.
- Cape Darnley Polynya and Japanese sea ice work- Kay Ohshima et al.
14:30 – 15:00 ASPeCt input to SOOS initiatives via sustained observations.
- Review of SOOS efforts, Sea Ice Project Endorsement and Possible Regional Initiatives – Steve Ackley
- ASPeCt observations and proposed software improvements – Petra Heil
- Digital photos and other automated observations from vessels to supplement visual observations- Kym Newbery, Petra Heil, Jenny Hutchings and Participants
15:00 Review of sea ice questions and ASPeCt input for SCAR Horizon
16:00 Science Plan: Steve Ackley
17:00 Update on the review paper- Marilyn Raphael
CliC Arctic Sea Ice Working Group (ASIWG) Afternoon Agenda
13:30 – 16:30 Summary of June Workshop results and status of action items
- Ice watch software and distribution
- Standardization of observations
- Short reports from attendees (1-2 slides)
- Reports on recent and upcoming field programs
- Further discussion on Sea Ice Prediction Network
- Next steps for ASIWG
Sunday 15 March 2014
Breakout meetings CliC Arctic Sea Ice Working Group – as required
-Petra Heil, Hajo Eicken, Jenny Baeseman