The Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Center (NERSC) in Bergen, Norway, invites applications for a postdoctoral researcher in the areas of sea ice, data assimilation, and machine learning. This three-year position will be located in Bergen, Norway.
The successful candidate will be part of an international research team with expertise in data assimilation, machine learning techniques, remote sensing, and in situ sea ice observations. The postdoctoral researcher will use the TOPAZ modeling and data assimilation system for the North Atlantic and Arctic Oceans.
- Identify predictors of sea ice thickness distribution from existing data;
- Design, train, and validate an emulator of sea ice thickness;
- Modify an Ensemble Kalman Filter using machine learning to update the ice thickness distribution; and
- Publication of results.
- PhD in applied mathematics, computer science, climate change, or related field;
- Strong background in applied mathematics;
- Experience in either machine learning or data assimilation; and
- Experience in parallel programming with complex codes would be beneficial.
Applications must include a curriculum vitae, with contact information, and contact information for two references.
Application deadline: 15 December 2021
For more information and to apply, go to:
For questions, contact:
Phone: +47 93 45 62 15