The Steering Committee for the Ice Sheet Mass Balance and Sea Level (ISMASS) Expert Group will convene on 7 October 2013 at the University of Sheffield, UK. The meeting is hosted by Edward Hanna and sponsored by the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research, the International Arctic Science Committee and the Climate and Cryosphere project. This page provides information for meeting participants.
The Ice Sheet Mass Balance and Sea Level (ISMASS), formerly an Expert Group of SCAR, became in early 2011 a joint working group of SCAR (representing the Antarctic science community) and IASC (representing the Arctic science community). Since then ISMASS has been lead by an interim steering committee. On 14 July 2012 an ISMASS kick-off workshop covering both science and organizational aspects, was held in Portland, OR, USA, within the frames of SCAR XXXI, sponsored by ICSU, SCAR, IASC, and WCRP with support from APECS and CliC. On 21 May 2013, CliC became the third co-sponsorship of ISMASS.
A new Steering Committee (SC) was partially appointed (but not completed) during the meeting. The composition of the new SC has now been completed. This new SC will hold its first meeting in Sheffield, UK, on 7 Oct. 2013. The main tasks will be to define updated terms of reference for ISMASS, its strategy and a plan of action for the forthcoming years, as well as clearly defining some organizational aspects.
The main deliverables from the meeting will be:
- Updated terms of reference for ISMASS, as an expert group under the co-sponsorship of SCAR, IASC and CliC.
- A concrete Plan of Action to guide the steps of ISMASS for the forthcoming years, including both planned activities and organizational aspects.
- Edward Hanna (in representation of WCRP-CliC), University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
- Francisco Navarro (in representation of IASC), Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain
- Frank Pattyn (in representation of SCAR), Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
- Catherine Ritz, Laboratoire de Glaciologie et Géophysique de l’Environnement, Grenoble, France
- Andrew Shepherd, School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds, UK
- Pippa Whitehouse (EC), Department of Geography, Durham University, UK
- Dan Dixon, Climate Change Institute, University of Maine, USA
- David M. Holland, Center for Atmosphere Ocean Science, New York University, USA
- Xavier Fettweis, Department of Geography, University of Liège, Belgium
The meeting will run from approximately 9am until 1700 or 1800. It will be held in the Ron Johnston Research Room on C Floor of the Geography Building on Winter Street, Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK.
Getting to Sheffield
- By Air: Manchester Airport is the closest and is recommended for this meeting. From the airport in Manchester, we recommend either of the following options:
- By Coach/Bus: There is a dedicated coach stop within the bus station serving Terminals 1 and 2. National Express bus (route number NX350) departs for Sheffield from 8.05 am. The fare is about £7.90 and the journey takes 2-3 hours. www.nationalexpress.com
- By Rail: A covered travellator links the rail station direct to all terminals. Trains to Sheffield depart every hour during the day time – the fare is £18.80 (or £12.40 with a young person/student rail card) and the journey time is approximately 1 hour. Trains are safe and comfortable. Please note that travelling before 9.30 am can be more expensive. For information on train times please refer to www.nationalrail.co.uk
Getting to the Rutland Hotel
The Rutland Hotel is located at 452 Glossop Road Sheffield S10 2PY.
- from the Sheffield Train Station
Take a taxi from outside the train station is the easiest option, from directly outside the railway station.
- from the Sheffield Bus Station
From the bus station catch the number 30, 40 or the 120 and ask for the Rutland Hotel, it is the stop after the Hallamshire Hospital.
The hotel is within 15 minutes walk of the meeting venue Ron Johnston Research Room on C Floor of the Geography Building on Winter Street, Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK at the University of Sheffield.
Zoom out on Google map below to see route.
1. Go east on Glossop Rd/B6547 against St. Mark's Crescent
View ISMASS SC Meeting in Sheffield in a larger map
Current Terms of Reference for ISMASS [Download]
Results from 2012 ISMASS Kick-off Workshop [Go to website: opens new window]